When working with electronics, you should gather up as much information as you can. This is made easier by data sheets, which are available for integrated circuits and are very easy to find. All you need to do is search for them on the internet and you will be able to download all of the information which you need. Here is a brief summary of what you can find on an integrated circuit data sheet:
- Manufacturer and part number.
- Details of what the circuit specifically does.
- Internal circuitry information. This will usually be presented in the form of diagrams and charts.
- Information about how the circuit will react to different operating conditions.
- Technical specifications, which should include information about the maximum voltage and maximum current loads for output pins.
- Required operating temperatures.
- Formulas to work out operating characteristics. This could include details of how external components will affect the circuit if relevant.
All you will need in order to find this information is the IC part number. This should bring up all the details you need. If you ever require more information, get in touch with the manufacturer. Data sheets may contain slight variations on this information, but they can generally be assumed to contain these details.